12.21.2013

15 below

15 below by lefiligree
15 below, a photo by lefiligree on Flickr.

my friend & coworker A. invited me to ski out to some yurts last weekend to celebrate the full moon and explore the frozen Eagle River for 3 days. I'd had my doubts that I'd survive since i hadnt been on skis for 20 years, but as any great back country girl, she had 2 of every piece of gear one might need and she suited me up.



another coworker, a different coworkers girlfriend, and our company mascot all joined in. hey, what could go wrong? i mean, that right there sounds like a weekend no one should miss!



...we established early on that what happens at the yurt stays at the yurt, but look at this scenery!! we got maybe 10" snow while we were out. the coolest thing was listening to the sheets of snow avalanche off the yurt late at night once we got the fire roaring, and the river ice popping as the midnight temps plummeted.

6 comments:

  1. Gosh even though it's so cold, it looks so beautiful and pristine and wild! You gals with frosty lashes and brows look so cute! This post means you survived. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i survived, and signed up for a 38 mile 3-day trip at the end of winter

      Delete
  2. it's been so long i've gone out for days at a time.
    you girls inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first it's amazing mushroom salt, then it's into the backcountry with women friends…you are doing winter right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. might be my favorite winter yet because of it, too

      Delete